Whitehead Memorial Museum
  • Home
    • COVID19
  • About
  • Exhibits
  • Learning
    • Student Programs
    • Childrens Activities >
      • Coloring Sheets
      • Junior Museum Guide
    • Sleepovers
  • Plan Your Visit
  • Visit Del Rio
  • Events
    • Event Calendar
    • Spring Break
    • Movie Night
    • Dino Days
    • Del Rio Museum Days
    • Cajun Fest >
      • Cajun Fest Volunteer
      • Cajun Fest Tickets
    • Oktoberfest >
      • OktoberfestTickets
    • Dia de los Muertos
    • Living History Day
    • Christmas At the Museum
    • Sponsorships Opportunities
  • Ground Rentals
  • Join
  • Donate
  • Archives
    • San Felipe Cemetery
  • Supporters
  • Gallery
  • Gift Shop
  • Wish Lists
  • Employment
  • Whats Your Story
  • Policies
  • Volunteer
  • History in Their Hands
  • CSR Donation
Picture

About the Museum

Our Mission
​The Whitehead Memorial Museum is a community-centered institution committed to preserving and sharing the unique history of Del Rio and Val Verde County. Our mission is to preserve historical and tangible artifacts that reflect the early history, diverse cultures, and economics of the region. Through thoughtful interpretation, engaging exhibits, and educational programs, we aim to connect people to the past, celebrate culture, and foster a deeper understanding of our shared heritage. As a vital part of the community, we strive to inspire pride, learning, and civic engagement for current and future generations.
Our Purpose
The purpose shall be to promote through the establishment and maintenance of a public museum and allied projects; a program which will bring about better understanding and appreciation of:
1. The history of Val Verde County, Texas
2. The Arts
3. Natural and social sciences associated with the history.
​

Museum History

It was in 1958, during the City of Del Rio’s Diamond Jubilee celebration, that the idea of establishing a museum in our community started.
During this celebration, many families gathered old relics and other historical artifacts to be put on display. It was then, Della Whitehead, then chairman of the Val Verde County Historical Survey Committee and President of the Women’s Auxiliary of the Chamber of Commerce, saw the need of a permanent location to house these valuable historical artifacts.
She immediately got to work, and after looking at several places, Della decided that the best location for a museum was the old vacant Perry building. This stone building was the first two-story building in Del Rio, built around 1870, and used as a general store by John Perry.
After the closing of the store, the building had been owned by different members of the Perry family who refused to part with the historical building.
It was in 1962 when Della approached Vernon Perry, the last member of the Perry family, with the idea of turning the Perry building into Del Rio’s first museum.  Vernon agreed to sell the building with the understanding that it was to be preserved as a monument to the early settlers of the community.
Vernon Perry sold the Perry building and adjacent land to L.D Whitehead and Will F. Whitehead for the sum of $12,000. Several members of the Whitehead family came together and gave money to help pay for the building. It took the Whitehead family 5 years to pay off the purchase of the building.
On October 9, 1962 the Whitehead Memorial Museum officially opened its doors to the public. On that day, Will F. Whitehead and L.D. Whitehead presented the keys to the museum to Val Verde County Judge Jim Lindsey and City of Del Rio Mayor A.C. Kennedy.
In 1964, the remains of Judge Roy Bean and his son Sam Bean were entered on the Museum grounds for safe keeping.
In 1974, Ima Jo Fleetwood dee­ded over to the City of Del Rio property to be used to extend the grounds of the museum. These grounds, now called the Ima Jo Fleetwood Park, are located in the rear of the Museum and house the Cadena Nativity and Daughtry Research Center.
It was in January of 1975 that the Whitehead family donated the Whitehead Memorial Museum, in a joint trust, to the City of Del Rio and Val Verde County as a memorial to their ancestors, Mr. and Mrs. Walter E. Whitehead and Mr. and Mrs. Will Whitehead, and to be used as a museum to preserve the history of the early settlers of the Val Verde County and Del Rio.
In the past 60 years, the Whitehead Memorial Museum has grown to cover over two acers of land, with 18 buildings, over 40 permanent exhibits, and more than 1,500 artifacts. The Museum has many community events throughout the year and stays busy preserving our history and educating our youth. The Museum sees about 5,000 visitors a year from all around the world.
Della Whitehead’s dream of starting a museum, which started in 1958, has been a reality for the past 60 years. Della once said, "The museum belongs to the entire community. We hope that museum will become the home of many priceless articles that served the early day settlers of our current progressive city and county."
Della had a vision, and 60 years later, this vision still lives.


Picture
​​Della Whitehead and her daughter Rose Mary "Rosie" Whitehead Jones. Together they found a place to house Del Rio and Val Verde County's historical items. After many years of hard work, the Whitehead family then donated the building and land to the City of Del Rio and the County of Val Verde on the condition that it be kept as a museum. 

Board of Trustees
Executive Officers

Michael Parker - President
Kerr Wardlaw - Vice President
John Little - Treasurer
Alexandra Falcon Calderon - Secretary
​

​Board Members
Gay Culbertson
Bill Culpepper
Gloria Culpepper
Ralph Howard
Andy Lewis
Ellen Little


City Representative
Alexandra Falcon Calderon
County Representative
Marta Rodriguez
Whitehead Family Representatives
Kerr Wardlaw
Linn Dutton


Staff
Michael Diaz - Executive Director
Billy Diaz - Museum Operations Manager
Gustavo Rodriguez - Maintenance/Groundskeeper
Kelly Baughman - Visitor Services Coordinator
Sara Flores - Visitor Services Associate





Contact Us.
Address: Whitehead Memorial Museum
1308 S. Main Street
Del Rio, TX 78840

Phone: (830)774-7568

Email: Info@WhiteheadMuseum.org

 Download Our Brochure

Anti-Discrimination Statement


Our Memberships

Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture
Picture

All Rights Reserved | Whitehead Memorial Museum | 1308 S. Main St.  Del Rio, TX 78840 | 830.774.7568
Picture
Funding for this website provided by the City of Del Rio
 Thanks to Nick Gray, Founder of Museum Hack, and to his Patron View project for supporting us.
​